The mudroom in a home is traditionally located directly off of the kitchen making it the perfect place for many great beneficial conveniences. However, in your search for mudroom makeover ideas you may find yourself hitting a brick wall as many homeowners also traditionally neglect the space rarely ever using it for its full potential. With a little imagination and a weekend of work you can ensure to use this space efficiently and decorate it just as well as the rest of the rooms in your home.
Make it Useful
The incorporation of a mudroom in a homes building plan can add massive benefits to living in the home. The space is designed to make leaving and returning an easier simpler task. To really take advantage of these benefits you must understand your role as the homeowner to make it useful. Use the space and use it well.
• Start at square one. You have a large empty space that can make life easier while you are constantly on the go.
• Keep your home and life organized by using the space appropriately.
• Give the whole family a place to stay on top of clutter and organize their things from the moment they enter the door.
Increase & Improve Storage
Increasing and improving storage in the mudroom will certainly help ease up the stress of gathering things every time you go on an outing. Whether you leave the home once a day or are on the go constantly, your mudroom will be of great value when saving yourself time.
• Hang hooks on the wall to hold coats, jackets, scarves, and bags.
• Mount cubbies on the wall for mail (incoming and outgoing), school papers, work papers, and small extras stored in your pockets.
• Include a bench with hidden storage to keep everyone’s shoes.
• Put up a key rack to reduce stress of lost car or house keys. Make it a habit to always hang the keys and sunglasses on this key rack. Major stress reducer.
Redesign & Improve Décor
Mudroom makeover ideas are hard to find meaning little inspirational information for your mudroom will be just handed to you. To get the most out of your mudroom décor it will take a little of your own creativity, imagination, and dedication. To get you on the right track try these tips when redesigning and improving the décor in the space.
• Take inspiration from the rest of your home to dramatically play up a version in the mudroom. Take colors one step further, exaggerate with lighting, go over the top.
• Enjoy the freedom of doing what you want with the space to include a little of the whole family. Let children help choose colors or customize their own cubby.
• Display children’s work and special things to add motivation each time they leave the home everyday for school. Just seeing their hard work recognized will help determine them to continue trying.
• Don’t be afraid to stage the room with nice coats, jackets, scarves, and bags. So you don’t actually wear that red jacket because it is too small, but it looks amazing against the denim blue walls! Just do it, who will ever know?
• Hang pictures, put out vases with fresh flowers, invest in a nice table and bench. You may hesitate to really decorate because so few people see the space but keep in mind this is your house and you are the one that wants to be impressed. Impress yourself whether others will see it or not.
Customizing your mudroom is about much more than organizing your home, it is about organizing your life. All the minor details in this room will make a huge impact on how easy it is to leave and return to your home. This can improve your mood, refresh you from the moment you walk in the door, and set the stage for relaxation after a day of hard work on the go. Use the space to its full potential and you will see the benefits in your life, not just your home.
Storage in any room can be a challenge but the storage in the mudroom can overwhelm a homeowner much more than any other room of the house. Having customized storage for the space can definitely help with the struggle by creating the perfect solutions for all the clutter accumulated coming and going.
• Choose customizable storage already available at your local home decorating store to save money and time.
• Make lists of all the different things you want to have storage space for and take this with you when you go shopping. Knock out one problem at a time.
• Keep updating your customized storage to maintain your mudroom
• Invest in extra baskets, cubbies, shelves, and storage items to be prepared for the changes in seasons.
Customized or personalized décor is a great way to get inspired each time you leave and return home. What better room is there to display your pride with personalized monogrammed rugs, blankets, throws, curtains, and knick-knacks. Such a small touch can seem worthless but you will quickly find that these little things can make a big difference in your mood when beginning your busy day or looking forward to unwinding at the end of one.
Eliminating the Mudroom
So, the mudroom is a pretty good size, right off the kitchen, and would make a great extra eating place. Taking out the mudroom and putting in an eating nook might just be the perfect idea. But, there are many things that must be well thought-out before eliminating the mudroom. You must consider your gains and losses.
Out-of-Site Trashcan Space
Additional Pantry and Food Storage
Entry and Exit Furniture or Storage
Additional Living Space
Larger Kitchen for Friends and Family
Possible Increase in Equity (check area values)
More Open Flow to the Outside
Depending on how you look at these gains and losses you may or may not find eliminating the mudroom to be a reasonable idea. Either way, this is by far the most dramatic of all mudroom makeover ideas and could certainly be an option for cramped living spaces.